Spikenard, a flowering plant of the Valerian family, is native to high altitudes in the sub-alpine and alpine regions of the Himalayan mountains. Spikenard essential oil is steam distilled from the roots of the plant and has been valued for centuries, traditionally used to anoint people of high honor and in the Ayurvedic practices of India. Historically used for its relaxing and uplifting aroma, Spikenard essential oil has a calming fragrance and can be cleansing for the skin. Today, the oil is commonly used in perfumes and relaxing massage oils for its woody, musty scent. By sourcing Spikenard oil from Nepal, dōTERRA is able to support much needed income streams for harvesters and partner distillers, particularly in the remote areas where it is harvested, as well as support needed rural community development projects through our Cō-Impact Sourcing® initiatives.
- Use topically on abdomen for an invigorating massage.
- Add Spikenard to a warm footbath.
- Add one drop to shampoo and massage into hair and scalp.
- Combine one drop Spikenard with moisturizer to smooth or soften skin.
- Apply topically to fingernails and toenails to keep them looking clean and healthy.
- Apply to the back of neck or temples for a relaxing scent.
- Diffuse for a calming aroma.
Woody, spicy, musty